Tuesday, September 15, 2009

TWD: Flaky Apple Turnovers



This weeks Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was Dorie's Flaky Apple Turnovers. Julie of Someone's in the Kitchen picked the recipe and you can find it on her blog. Or you could always buy the best baking book ever.

Lets get started by saying that I'm the worst kind of baker ever...I almost always refuse to roll things...like dough. I hate it. It hates me. So...for this recipe, which I'm sure would have been easier to do than normal...I may have used frozen puff pastry. Shh, don't tell!

Anyway, the filling was probably the easiest thing I've ever made. I love apple pie but usually have a love/hate relationship with the filling. This was awesome. Not too fussy, but just right. I halved the recipe, but put in probably more than the normal amount of cinnamon. They looked kinda scary when they came out of the oven, but once I trimmed up the scary stuff that spilled all out, they looked alright and tasted even better. A definite hit with the family! I'm going to try these again but next time I may go for squarish ones and maybe put some jam in the middle.


(This is some of the scary stuff. I assume its buttery goodness, but I'm not trying it!)

3 comments:

  1. I love apple turnovers of any variety! I'll even eat the ones from Arby's I like them so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about "cheating" with the frozen puff pastry too - but I went ahead and made dorie's. You made the right decision - pain-orama. But it sure did taste great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look tasty. You have to make these again and try the pastry. It is SOOOOO easy.

    ReplyDelete