Thursday, August 6, 2009

Chicken Subs



So I found myself in Publix the other day and chicken breast was on sale. Yay! I bought some but then got home and thought what should I cook with these? The answer? Awesome chicken subs. I got the idea a while back from Rachael Ray but her recipe has a lot of stuff I don't like in it. I'm a picky eater, what can I say. This recipe isn't really exact, as I kinda made it up while I was cooking. But its totally wing-able. Here's the idea behind it, you can decide the quantity used.

Ingredients:
-3 chicken breasts, pounded to be a little flatter than they normally are. Cut into strips or bite size pieces.
-1 marinated roasted red pepper. Diced.
-grill seasoning, I like McCormick Montreal. About a tablespoon.
-Italian seasoning, about a tablespoon
-1 6oz can tomato sauce, I used the kind that had basil and oregano
-1 small package of shredded cheese, I used Italian blend and cheddar
-1 banana pepper. Mainly because we grew one and didn't want it to go to waste.
-4 sub rolls

1. Put 4 sub rolls on a baking sheet and toast a few minutes in the oven at about 325 degrees. Remove from oven when they are slightly toasted.
2. After all of your chicken and peppers are diced up, heat a skillet with a small amount of olive oil. Add chicken and peppers and season with grill seasoning and Italian seasoning. Saute until chicken is done. If there is too much liquid, drain. Add tomato sauce and heat through.

(That picture is before I added the tomato sauce. I had to drain, I added a bit too much olive oil.)
3. When sauce and chicken are heated, spoon mixture onto each of the sub rolls. Cover with cheese of your choice (and maybe some garlic salt on top, I like it). Bake for 5 min or until cheese is nice and melted.
*EAT!

1 comment: