Saturday, August 1, 2009

Awesome Brownies



So yesterday I was bored and decided what better way to spend my day than making brownies...It was a great day. These brownies weren't very thick, only about an inch or so, but they were super good. I suppose Martha really does know what she's doing. They were really easy to make, and didn't dirty up too many dishes. The only problem I had with them was that it only made a 8" pan, and that's just not enough! I think they might have been even better with nuts, but that's just my preference.
On to the recipe. This comes from Martha Stewart's book Cookies.

Double Chocolate Brownies

Yield: 9-16 brownies

Ingredients:
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for pan
6 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
¼ cup unsweetened dutch-process cocoa powder
¾ cup all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract


1.Preheat oven to 350. Line a buttered 8-inch square baking pan with parchment, allowing a 2 inch overhang. Butter lining (not overhang).
2.Put butter, chocolate, and cocoa powder in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water; stir until butter and chocolate have melted. Let cool slightly.
3.Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Put sugar, eggs, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and mix on medium speed until pale, about 4 minutes. Add chocolate mixture; mix until combined. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture; mix, scraping down sides of bowl, until well combined.
4.Pour batter into prepared pan; spread evenly with a spatula. Bake until a cake tester inserted into brownies (avoid center and edges) comes out with a few crumbs but is not wet, about 35 minutes. Let cool slightly in pan, about 15 minutes. Lift out; let cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares. Brownies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days.


I didn't use parchment paper, I just used cooking spray. And I may have used a 9" pan, it was the only square one I had handy. I let mine cool completely in the pan and it was fine and I had no trouble getting them out. The whole thing is very forgiving. Give it a shot and enjoy!

Oh yeah, and my picture stinks but I figure its a brownie, you know what it looks like anyway!

1 comment:

  1. The picture is not bad at all, just use your macro setting and stand back and focus in tight on the food.

    ReplyDelete