Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Paula Deen's Chocolate Cream Cheese Pound Cake



When you read that title, you should say "Ohhhh yeahhhhhhh" and drool. The good thing about this cake?! Its that good. Its amazing. Its possibly one of the best straight out chocolate cakes ever. And its easy. Just like a pound cake, only you don't add the eggs and flour alternately, and there's chocolate in it.

I ninja'd the recipe off a random internet site after I saw the cake title on a fellow bundt lover's website.

My only problem with this cake, is sometime between when that picture above was taken, and when I wanted to flip it, that little indention going on in the center, went down about another inch. I was sad at first, then I flipped it anyway.


Looks pretty normal right? Well...This is what happened when I sliced it.


But ya know what? Even though it fell all apart when I sliced it, and had a hole in the middle, I think the falling actually helped! It made it slightly more moist (usually falling makes things gooey, I guess I got lucky), and with the crusty top, its the perfect texture. Now if I could figure out how to do that every time!

Here's a recipe for it. I'm sure its posted in one of her books, but I don't have them all yet so I don't know which one. Enjoy!

(my only changes were that I used all purpose flour, and just went a little shy of the 2-1/4 cup. I don't do fractions, so I can't tell you the right amount. Just fill up the normal amount, but when you're on the 1/4 cup, go about 3 tbsp short. I also used half a teaspoon of baking soda since I didn't really know if cake flour was supposed to have that mixed in or not)

Ingredients

* 2 sticks of butter, softened
* 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
* 3 cups sugar
* 6 eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 1/4 cups cake flour
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 3/4 cup cocoa

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease/spray a 10-inch Bundt pan.

Cream butter, cream cheese, and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Add vanilla.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and cocoa. Add about half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat well. Add remaining flour mixture and beat well for about 2 minutes.

Pour batter into Bundt pan. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until done.

7 comments: